At Slim, we believe that knowing your software is a key building block to creating secure, small, production-ready containers and reducing software supply chain risk. One big challenge many of us face when attempting to work with, optimize, and secure container images, is that images often lack important documentation. Leaving us in a pinch when trying to figure out even basic details about whether or not an image is usable, well constructed, and secure.
This is where, we believe, the Slim Docker Extension can help.
Install the Extension
- Make sure you’re running Docker Desktop version 4.9.0 or greater
- Within Docker Desktop, click on Add Extensions in the left navigation under “Extensions”
- You’ll be taken to the Extensions Marketplace, where you can search "Slim.AI" and find it listed in the results.
- When you find the Slim.AI extension, click “Install.” The installation should take just a few seconds.
Available Free to All Developers without Authentication to the Slim Platform
- Easy to access deep analyses of your local container images by tag with quick access to information like the local arch, exposed ports, shells, volumes, and certs
- Security insights including whether the containers runs with a root user and a complete list of files that have special permissions
- Optimization opportunities including a counts of deleted and duplicate files
- Fully searchable File Explorer filterable by layer, instruction, and file type with the ability to view the contents of any text-based file
- The ability to compare any two local images or image tags with deep analyses and File Explorer capabilities
- Reverse engineered Dockerfiles for each image when the originals are not available.
Connect Your Slim Account via the Slim Platform for Additional Features
By clicking the Log In button at the top left navigation in Docker Desktop, you'll be taken to the Slim Platform where you can log in or sign up. Automatically, the Slim Docker Extension should refresh to show that your account is signed in and ready for use with additional feature access:
- Search across multiple public and authenticated registries for quality images including support for Docker Hub, Github, DigitalOcean, AWS ECR, GCR, Quay, Gitlab, and Azure.
- View deep analysis, insights, and File Explorer for images across available registries prior to pulling them down to your local machine
How do I use the Slim.AI Docker Extension?
- Once installed, click on the Slim.AI extension in the left nav of Docker Desktop
- The Slim.AI Docker Extension will list the images on your local machine
- You can use the search bar to find specific images by name
- Click the “Explore” button or carrot icon to view details about your images:
- Overview of your image, File Explorer, and Dockerfiles
- Click the “Compare” button to compare two images or image tags:
- File System Diff, Image Metadata DIff, and Dockerfile Diffs
What’s on the roadmap?
We have a number of features and refinements planned for the extension, but we need your feedback to help us improve. Please provide your feedback here.
Planned capabilities include:
- The ability to compare local and remote images
- Improvements to the Overview to provide more useful insights
- Design and UX updates to make the experience even easier to use
- More capabilities that connect your local experience to the Slim Portal